The Top 15 Food Quotations
By Danielle Hollister
- "Happy and successful cooking doesn't rely only on know-how; it comes from the heart, makes great demands on the palate and needs enthusiasm and a deep love of food to bring it to life."
- "I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage."
- "As with most fine things, chocolate has its season. There is a simple memory aid that you can use to determine whether it is the correct time to order chocolate dishes: any month whose name contains the letter A, E, or U is the proper time for chocolate."
- "Noncooks think it's silly to invest two hours' work in two minutes enjoyment; but if cooking is evanescent, so is the ballet."
- "Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation."
- "I prefer butter to margarine, because I trust cows more than I trust chemists."
--Joan Dye Gussow
- "My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it."
- "Show me another pleasure like dinner which comes every day and lasts an hour."
--Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
- "An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh."
- "The two biggest sellers in bookstores are the cookbooks and the diet books. The cookbooks tell you how to prepare the food and the diet books tell you how not to eat any of it."
- "Oysters are more beautiful than any religion....There's nothing in Christianity or Buddhism that quite matches the sympathetic unselfishness of an oyster."
- "Why, then the world's mine oyster, Which I with sword will open."
- "So in our pride we ordered for breakfast, an omelet, toast and coffee and what has just arrived is a tomato salad with onions, a dish of pickles, a big slice of watermelon and two bottles of cream soda."
- "Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity."
- "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch."
Resource Box - © Danielle Hollister (2004) is the Publisher of BellaOnline Quotations Zine - A free newsletter for quote lovers featuring more than 10,000 quotations in dozens of categories like - love, friendship, children, inspiration, success, wisdom, family, life, and many more. Read it online at - http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8364.asp
Return to Home Page